I am sure the first question you have is why they are called lockdown brownies. Well, the recipe was developed and perfected over the lockdown of 2020 due to COVID-19 hence the name.
And since we had sooooo much time on our hands to perfect and re perfect the recipe and trust me you will love this one. They are chocolatey-gooey-delicious and surprisingly easy.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
135 grams of unsalted butter
150 grams of unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup of chocolate chips
3 tablespoons Dutch cooking chocolate
2 teaspoons espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla paste
1 teaspoon salt
• Set up a double boiler and start by adding butter, chocolate, and slowly mixing in the sugar.
•Remove the bowl from the boiler and add one egg at a time. Mix really well. It’s how you mix this that will help you get a great crust.
• Pre-heat the oven to 180° C. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder into a fresh bowl and mix well
• Slowly add the wet ingredients, mix well and set into a parchment lined rectangular baking tin.
• Bake for 40 minutes until the top has browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
• Let it rest for at least an hour. I know it’s hard but it’s totally worth the wait.